Monday, July 20, 2009

Round Five


For your viewing enjoyment, I've included a picture of my mountain goat as she resides in my office waiting for round six. Note the fine vintage rigid GT fork on front. Hopefully to soon be replaced. :)

So, I took my Schwinn mountain goat out for another ride this morning. Yes, I went earlier than the previous four times. I decided the 90+ deg. F heat probably wasn't the best for me. All it had to offer was brain skillet energy. The temperature was indeed much better this morning than it had been in previous rides.

I replaced the rear brake pads with some other old take-offs I had laying around. They gripped better but made a horrendous screech/vibration noise that even bothered ME to listen to as I applied them heavily on some of the downhill stuff.

I encountered some mountain hiking moms (kinda like socker moms), pushing mountain bike tire enhanced kid strollers. Now that takes some ambition. It's hard enough pushing (ooops, I mean riding) my bike up those hills. They were kind and didn't have that now all too familiar look on their faces of, yep, you guessed, "what the heck?" Sorry, I had to use that phrase again before it gets used up.

I encountered two actual mountain bikers later on my ride that were cordial. I had stopped and was just finishing a phone call with my lovely wife as they pulled up. They were not from around these parts and were asking ME for directions. Haha. I told them all that I knew. Encouraged them on as they were on the last LONG stretch of uphill-hideousness. And YES, as they were pushing off and heading up the trail, one of them took a long look at my bike laying on the side of the trail. And she had to be wondering-".....".

All-in-all it was an outstanding Monday morning ride. I went faster, conquered new obstacles that had previously conquered me and it wasn't so hot this time. That helped my psyche for sure.
Have a great ride!
James

No comments:

Post a Comment