Sunday, January 31, 2010

Live an Extraordinary Life


So, what's up with the title? Well. I had a friend recently contact me asking about any websites I knew of for a friend of hers to go to where she could research and learn about and get support concerning her son who has multiple "facial differences". I thought for a minute before responding. I first directed her to this site and mentioned that there is a link to the right that I included to another site that a wonderful person put together full of endless resources and answers. There is a need for getting those answers and developing a clear understanding of the conditions. But, when all is said and done and the dust settles and the doctors have done everything they are capable of doing and the insurance has black-balled the patient, that's when I think a person could gain something by spending time on this "silly" seemingly non-related blog that I write. Why? Because at some point in my life I realized that my face didn't have to define who I was. I was going to title this posting "Live a normal life", but what the heck is that? What is normal? And beyond that, why JUST live a normal life when you can live an extraordinary life? I live a "normal" life and yet I strive for much more. Countless people have asked me how I manage to do so much in life. I guess there's just a LOT of things I want to do and see. So I work to fit all those things in. And believe it or not. There is still plenty of idle time still left over. To my fellow brothers and sisters who have been "plauged", "blessed", "cursed", or what ever title you have put on your condition---pursue your dreams. Press in hard and do your best to not look back. Except perhaps to witness that line of demarcation so you can see where you were and where you have come to a better place. I don't want anyone to think that my life has been exceptional from day one. I have spent countless hours fighting the ache in my heart, feeling cheated, feeling ugly, feeling lonely, feeling despised and rejected. I've been through all of those and more. But there has also been so much richness in my life. Unbelievable richness. My facial differences don't define who I am now, but they contributed toward what makes me who I am. I can't deny that. And I've told people I would never "wish" my condition upon another person, but I also would not choose to do it all over again with a "normal" face. There is a great deal of confidence, tenacity, endurance, love of life, etc...that has been deeply instilled in me as a result of my life experiences with facial differences.
To anyone out there who is struggling with being different from the "standard" be it physical or emotional, I am VERY sorry that you have to carry that burden. I can honestly share in your pain and suffering. I can honestly say that I've been there to a certain degree. I know there are folks who have far worse conditions than mine and my heart aches for them, and I wonder how they do it. Funny that I would say such a thing, but I have come to a place that I forget that I look different probably 90% of the time. It's crazy. But it's like I said early on in this posting. I am not defined by my facial differences. If anyone wants to talk more with me about this, please feel free to contact me. I believe my email is included on my profile page and I can be contacted via that or via replying to this post. Finally, read through my postings. Some are serious and some are silly. But hopefully, as you read through them you will begin to realize that you don't have to be different from everyone else. You just get out in the world and start living. One of those things that seems to be quite certain in the world we live in is that we can't turn back the clock. Oneo of my favorite phrases back in college, CARPE DIEM, "sieze the day".
Have a great day everyone.
James

5 comments:

  1. After having read through a few of your posts in their entirety, I see now your exceptional and uncommon physical and mental strength.
    This post in particular, I feel, speaks to a multitude of people, regardless of the differences in their struggles.

    Incredible ability can be achieved by those who have distinct and multifarious facets, in my opinion.

    Your experiences (as chronicled in your blog anyway) are proof.

    Exposing your vulnerability strengthens your position in life, as well.

    Thank you for creating this blog, James. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Virginia,
    Thanks so much for even bothering to read my blog when I am certain that there are literally hundreds of thousands if not millions of blogs to chose from. I'll do my best to continue to chronicle life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was no bother! And I look forward to future and past writing of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too grew up with a facial difference, and in fact just published a memoir. Our messages are quite similar- about living life and not letting it affect us. I'd be curious to see a photo of you. You can find several of me on my web site www.facinguptoit.com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dawn, thanks for sharing! You are a beautiful person.

      Delete