Thursday, January 7, 2010

Pressing in



So, it's been a while since my last posting. I started a few and ditched them before finishing and posting. So, I'll try yet again. Life's been busy with trips, work, ranching, snow, Boy Scouts (I've been recruited as a Den Leader since my son wanted to join), and now, it's January and I am starting my excercise and indoor riding training for the Classic Iron Horse Bicycle race later this spring in which I plan to participate. I signed up for the McDonald's tour ride rather than the official race. That seems to be what a lot of my coleages are doing as well. Near the end of last summer I purchase a very nice used Felt F85 road bicycle with intentions to keep in shape over the winter so I would be ready for the mountain biking the following spring. That's what got me interested in preparing for the Iron Horse race. Let's step back in time to set the stage.

Back in college before modern mountain bikes were invented (I say modern because I am aware that there were some pioneers on fat tire bikes up in the woods long before "Mtn. Biking" became popular) I used to ride a road bike up and down Lookout Mountain over in Golden, CO near the Colorado School of Mines where I was earning my degrees. Anyway, back then when modern mountain biking was emerging, I was big on road cycling and couldn't understand why anyone in their right mind would want to ride on a dusty, rocky, muddy, single track trail out in the middle of nowhere.

Then I discovered mountain biking due to the influence of a very good friend of mine at which point, I couldn't understand why anyone in their right mind would want to just stick to road cycling on a boring paved road.

Now, I've grown up a bit and have realized that I truly enjoy both venues of cycling. So, as I mentioned, near the end of last summer I purchase that used Felt F85 road bike and rediscovered my enjoyment of road cycling. On top of it all, I discovered the enjoyment of a modern road bicycle as compared to my vintage "Tour de France", made in Spain bicycle that I road back in college. BIG difference in riding quality and enjoyment for me. So, the Miyata took a back seat to the Felt and the enjoyable road rides began as I alternated between that venue and some of my favorite mountain bike trails.

Then winter came with a vengence. No more mountain or road biking for the season. At some point in the fall, my son mentioned that he wanted to start riding with me during my road cycling. That got my ears buring, someone else was interested in bicycling with me.

A short interlude here. My entire family was interested in and enjoying various forms of bicycling last summer just not to the extended degree that I was. So, to have my son express interest in the road cycling was a wonderful thing. So, my mind starts churning. He's 10 years old and a bit too small for a full-sized road bike. I price kid's versions and I'm not impressed with the pricing OR the quality or lack thereof. So, I started a project cutting down an old specialized frame to fit him. Well, a few months later and an unfinished project and I came upon an add for a Trek HILO 2000 Alpha triathlon bike with a 50cm frame and 650mm wheels. A nice small road bike. I jumped on it. Brought it home and Jarod immediately took an interest. We've been working for a few days now, that's all the longer I've had it so far, dialing it in to his frame size. I've run out of space for lowering the seat. I still need about an inch. I've been researching a shorter crank set but don't want to spend too much but don't want to put any "crap" on this very quality bicycle. It turns out this Trek is a few notches above my Felt that I have been riding. I may have to take the Trek out for a few runs when my son is not riding with me just so I can compare the riding differences between the two bikes.

So, anyway, it's been an interesting and fun winter so far. It's been a lot colder for a lot longer than what is typical here. The ice age is moving in. I'll keep myself busy on my cycle trainer indoors till things warm up again! Have a great day everyone.
James

1 comment:

  1. James,

    You might be interested to see what my sister and her family did this past fall. The whole family took a trip down the GAP trail, starting in Pennsylvania and ending up in Washington D.C. They had a great time. You can read about it here http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?page_id=128157

    ReplyDelete